Very Severe Cyclonic Storm ‘OCKHI’ over Lakshadweep area and adjoining Southeast Arabian Sea and Cyclone Warning for Lakshadweep Islands- RED message(1730 hrs)
The severe cyclonic storm ‘OCKHI’ over Lakshadweep area and adjoining Southeast Arabian Sea continued to move west-northwestwards with a speed of 15 kmph during past 06 hours and intensified further into a Very Severe Cyclonic Storm and lay centred at 1430 hrs IST of today, the 01st December, 2017 over Lakshadweep area and adjoining southeast Arabian Sea near Latitude 9.1º N and Longitude 73.0º E, about 90 km north of Minicoy and 220 km south-southeast of Amini Divi. The system is very likely to intensify further during next 24 hours. It is very likely to continue to move west-northwestwards across Lakshadweep Islands during next 24 hours and then move north/ northeastwards during the subsequent 48 hours.
|Date/Time(IST)||Position(Lat. 0N/ long. 0E)||Maximum sustained surface wind speed (kmph)||Category of cyclonic disturbance|
|01/1430||9.1/73.0||115-125 GUSTING TO 140||VERY SEVERE CYCLONIC STORM|
|01/1730||9.3/72.8||120-130 GUSTING TO 145||VERY SEVERE CYCLONIC STORM|
|01/2330||9.7/72.1||120-130 GUSTING TO 145||VERY SEVERE CYCLONIC STORM|
|02/0530||10.1/71.4||125-135 GUSTING TO 150||VERY SEVERE CYCLONIC STORM|
|02/1130||10.7/70.8||125-135 GUSTING TO 150||VERY SEVERE CYCLONIC STORM|
|02/2330||11.9/69.7||130-140 GUSTING TO 155||VERY SEVERE CYCLONIC STORM|
|03/1130||13.4/68.9||120-130 GUSTING TO 145||VERY SEVERE CYCLONIC STORM|
|03/2330||14.8/68.7||105-115 GUSTING TO 125||SEVERE CYCLONIC STORM|
|04/1130||16.2/69.2||95-105 GUSTING TO 115||SEVERE CYCLONIC STORM|
|04/2330||17.6/70.3||70-80 GUSTING TO 90||CYCLONIC STORM|
|05/1130||18.9/71.5||50-60 GUSTING TO 70||DEEP DEPRESSION|
(i) Heavy Rainfall warning:
- Rainfall at most places with heavy to very heavy rainfall at a few places and isolated extremely heavy falls (>20 cm) very likely over Lakshadweep area during next 24 hours and isolated heavy to very heavy falls during subsequent 24 hours.
- Rainfall at many places with heavy rainfall at isolated places very likely over Kerala during next 24 hours.
(ii) Wind warning:
- Gale winds speed reaching 120-130 kmph gusting to 145 kmph very likely over & around Lakshadweep Islands during next 24 hours and gradual decrease thereafter.
- Squally wind speed reaching 45-55 kmph gusting to 65 kmph very likely along & off Kerala during next 24 hours and along & off Karnataka coast during next 24 hours.
(ii) Sea condition:
- Sea conditions would be phenomenal over and around Lakshadweep Islands during next 24 hours and very high during subsequent 24 hours.
- Sea conditions would be high to very high along & off Kerala coast during next 24 hours and along & off Karnataka coast during subsequent 24 hours.
(iii) Damage Expected over Lakshadweep Islands: Damage to power and communication lines due to breaking of tree branches and uprooting of large avenue trees. Major damage to thatched houses/huts: Major damage to kutcha houses, some damage to pucca roads and flooding of escape routes. Damage to banana & Papaya trees and standing crops.
(iv) Storm surge:
- Storm surge of about 1 meter above astronomical tides very likely to inundate low lying areas of Lakshadweep Islands.
(v) Action suggested